2016 brought in almost $68.8 million for PA casinos. This year, an average of 1,252 tables operated statewide daily.
On the other hand, Presque Isle Downs and Casino and Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course took the only negative change. They were down 29.15 percent and 4.18 percent, respectively.
PA slots trend up in September
Slot machine gross revenue rose 1.7 percent in September, according to a PGCB. Of the 12 casinos in the state, nine reported increased revenue during September.
This is the first time in several months slot revenue improved over last year.
A look at the numbers
The highest increases came from:
- Mount Airy Casino Resort with 11.40 percent, from almost $12.1 million in September 2016 to $13.4 million in September 2017
- Rivers Casino with 7.94 percent, from almost $20.9 million in 2016 and $22.5 million in 2017
- Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course with 4.46 percent, from $16.7 million in 2016 to almost $17.5 million in 2017
Decreases came from:
- Mohegan Sun Pocono (-6.46 percent)
- The Meadows Racetrack and Casino (-1.66 percent)
- Harrah’s Philadelphia Casino and Racetrack (-1.16 percent)
In 2017, an average of 25,971 slot machines operated throughout Pennsylvania. This represents a loss of 661 machines from the prior year.
In total, September 2017 slot machine revenue hit $195,396,966, up from $192.15 million in 2016. Tax revenue was $96,123,035.75 this year.
Three casinos receive fines
Also notable in the PCGB announcements is that three casinos together took a $77,500 hit this year for a variety of violations.
The operators of Rivers Casino, Mohegan Sun Pocono, and SugarHouse Casino each received hefty fines totaling $42,500, $25,000, and $10,000 respectively.
The former, the Holdings Acquisition Company, L.P., let individuals on the self-excluded persons list gamble. Additionally, they held poker tournaments before submitting its schedule to PGCB for approval.
Mohegan Sun, owned by the Downs Racing, L.P., failed to report compromised decks with incorrect cards to the Board.
Finally, SugarHouse HSP Gaming L.P. allowed a 19 year old on the gaming floor, where he proceeded to gamble at a slot machine.
Casino employment diversified
At the close of this fiscal year, the 12 casinos employed 17,736 people.
- 89 percent are PA residents
- 37 percent are racial minorities
- 43 percent are female